This Cauliflower Cottage pie is topped with mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potato. It makes it a much healthier version but still super yummy!
So how many of you had some kind of new year’s resolution or goal that involved eating better, losing weight etc? My hand is in the air right now! You can read all of my new year goals here. As someone who blogs about food and recipes I’m finding it a challenge but my main goal is to have balance and portion control.
We are near the very end of January and I’m sure resolutions are starting to slip for some so I wanted to share a yummy comfort food recipe that, because of a smart swap, is much better for you. And in the interest of balance you could have one of these Very Vanilla Cupcakes for afters! 😉
In this recipe the minced beef filling is cooked with rosemary and thyme to make sure it has plenty of flavour. Then there is cheese (because you still have to have cheese, right?!) mixed in with the cauliflower and more cheese on top that goes golden brown in the oven.
I had to leave the cheese in there for my husband! When I told him my plan for this cottage pie he wasn’t very impressed about losing his precious potato. BUT his plate was clean at the end of the meal and if you know my husband (number one veg hater in the world) you will understand that that is high praise indeed!
I served this Cauliflower cottage pie with green vegetables and gravy and it was delicious! Good luck with carrying on with your resolutions through February! Let me know how your own yearly goals are going and what you think of today’s recipe in the comments section at the bottom of the page.
- One extra large cauliflower (mine gave me approx 900g of cauliflower (uncooked))
- 500g minced beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- rosemary (dried or fresh)
- thyme (dried or fresh)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- Put the cauliflower on to boil until it's tender.
- Heat a large frying pan, add the oil and the minced beef and cook it until browned. Tip the mince out of the pan into a sieve to drain off any fat.
- In the same pan cook the onion and carrot over a medium heat until they soften. Return the meat to the pan with the garlic and the herbs and cook for another minute.
- Add the plain flour to the pan, cook for a minute and then pour in the stock. Keep stirring, it should start to thicken. Season to taste and then spoon the meat mixture into a large baking dish.
- When your cauliflower is cooked drain it well! It will hold quite a bit of water and you don't want it to be watery when you mash it.
- Mash the cauliflower, season to taste and then mix in half the cheese.
- Evenly spoon the cauliflower onto the meat mixture making sure it is all covered. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200c/180c fan oven for half an hour or until the meat mixture is bubbling around the edges and the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with green vegetables and some extra gravy if you want it.
Pin Cauliflower cottage pie to save it for later!
Find more dinner ideas by following my Delicious food | Mains board on Pinterest!